Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Wonders, Wanders and Winding Roads

7/20/10 5:20 pm local

OK: before I start on how beautiful South Dakota is I want to say that the bird we hit in Montana committed suicide. Bob did everything he could to avoid hitting the stupid thing and it just flung itself into the metal box on the front of the truck. We found it resting in peace with a broken neck when we got to Devil’s Tower, Wyoming. I refused to let it die in vain so I plucked the really cool tail feathers and stashed them in the camera bag so I can make jewelry out of them later. For all I know it came from a grouse farm and couldn’t take the idea of being hunter bait anymore. I have a picture of it, it’s not bloody, but I know the more squeamish in the audience would be upset so I’ll just keep that particular bit of digital documentation to myself.

South Dakota really IS beautiful. We took a “scenic byway” which is Highway 14A, through the Black Hills and down into the plains. We stopped to get pictures of the Bridal Veil waterfalls and then a little later veered into a winery called “Prairie Berry”. Of course the only reason we went in was because they sell wines called “Red Ass” and “3 Rednecks”. The names appealed to the Madigan aesthetics. They’re actually pretty good wines. I can honestly say that I liked this part of the drive even better than the Black Hawk drive in Colorado. You just have to see it to believe it. On that note I post the latest pictures and will let you share with me the awesomeness that is the Black Hills. Tomorrow we unload the bikes and ride to Crazy Horse and Mt. Rushmore.

For the gardeners: bee balm grows wild out here and chokecherries are used in almost everything; wine, jams, sauces, etc. Also, the blue flowers you see are called “blue eyed grass” which I just happen to have planted in my own yard last year. I was thunder-struck to see it in the wild. I can’t wait to see if the birds leave me any chokecherries this Fall to can. I hope so. Although word may have spread by then that we are killers of avians and their revenge could be to steal all my berries. Bastards!!

In case you’re wondering: No, I’m not putting in a shitload of typos as I go along. Plans change from one day to the next so some of the town names may change from day to day. So the “before” mentioned towns are places we talked about going, the “after” mentioned towns are places we actually went. Spearfish out; Hot Springs in. Get it?

By the way: no pictures of antelope because they move to fast and no pictures of prairie dogs because they’re so small. But both animals are plentiful here and frankly cool as hell. Maybe I’ll get lucky and one of those antelope will have suicidal tendencies…








































































































































































































































































































0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home